Saturday, May 28, 2011

48 Hours

The last 48 hours have been a great learning experiance for me. Last night we were invited to an "asado" which I am still learning about but its a tradional dinner with lots of grilled meat and other foods like mandioca and sopa. They do it for special events, in our case, a welcome party. I was looking forward to interacting with our new friends, learning more about what they eat, how they cook, how they talk and how they interact with each other. I wasn't prepared for the migraine headache that took way much of my evening.

As I reflected on last night I was amazed at all I did learn through my unplanned event. I learned they are compassionate, kind, understanding and get headaches just like me! I also learned more about the Lords grace for the moment. As I sat in the bathroom for over an hour (throwing up, shaking so badly I didn't think I was going to get off the floor and pleading with the Lord to just make this headache just go away), I realized that even if my headache didn't go away I was going to need help just making eye contact and not wanting to offend the people we were with by not eating all the food they had made. I made it through the evening, I don't think anyone was offended and I didn't have to eat anything, people understood and my headache did go away (which it never does unless I sleep in a dark and very quite room), THATS MY GOD! I should also note that the kids did great, especially since we didn't get home till 12:30am and Jon was able to talk with people and continue to develope relationships
Well, today I am better and we made our first down town trip alone and here is what we saw....
A parade was taking place when we got there, lots of flags and bands playing. People lined the streets and it looked like there were important people watching but we don't know who 
Then it was time for lunch, hot empanada's...yum! 


I can't eat them, so I helped Jade instead

I was impressed by this man selling chipa out of the huge basket he carried on his head 
There were many street venders selling clothes and table cloths 


It was a good family day out and we keep learning more about the culture everytime we venture out.

No comments: