Saturday, May 14, 2011


We are finally in Paraguay! Over 5 years of training, getting ready, raising support and we made it by the skin of our teeth! We had pros and cons to our final hours state side and thats what makes this story worth telling.

Tuesday morning arrived too early, we all were still tired from the day before of beach walking, fun in the pool and mini golf at the resort where Jon's parents vacation. But there was plenty to do, so we rolled out of bed. Jamen was very excited cause finally we were going to Paraguay! All I could think about was how little time we had and how much I needed to get done and Jon was focused on selling the car. Well, to make a long story short I was needed at the car selling place (whose name shall remain anonymous) to sign the title. So, Jon and his dad had to drive back to hotel (40 min from the car place) and get me, the kids, Jon's mom and the last of our stuff.
 We got on the road at 2:00 pm, an hour later than we should have. But traffic was good and we were making good time. Our next stop was another car place on the way to Miami, this time with me there. We get there, we had made good time, kids slept, we had made last minute phone calls, they said it will be 25 min and we'll get you a check! We were excited it was going to work out, however after an hour had gone by we were starting to panic. After another 20 mins we were running to Jon's parents van, check in hand and funny part was they didn't need me to sign papers:-) 

We are now 45 min from the airport and hour behind when we are suppose to be at the airport (international flights you need to be there 3-3.5 hours before). But God is good and we don't hit any traffic as we enter Miami and we get to the airport at 6:55 pm. I jump out of the van and run to the ticket counter while Jon gets the bags, Nana watches the kids and Grandpa parks the car. I finally figure what line I am suppose to be in and they rush me to the next open counter. They look at our paperwork and tell us, "we were about to close the flight in 5 min". We just made it!

 But there wasn't time to relax yet, while they checked our bags Jon had to run downstairs and to the end of the airport to pay the extra baggage fee while I finished up getting the bags checked and got the kids and carry-ons down to security. We said quick goodbyes, not a perk about being late. However one perk about being late, there are no lines, we walked right through security, no problems (got to keep all my gluten free snacks!). By the time we got to the gate the plane was half full and our seats were not together. But it got resolved, even though I didn't understand cause the airline was Brazilian so they were speaking Portuguese and I think some people got mad but Jamen couldn't sit by himself and I made sure I didn't play the part of the ugly america:-) 
We got in our seats and that plane was in the air at 8:05, 10 min early!!!! I didn't get sick, the seabands helped with nausea but I did pass-out about 12:30, I think the sitting and stress of the day caught up with me. But I got some cool water on my head and I was fine after that and so was the rest of the trip. We met another linguist in the airport, the kids did great, they slept on the plane (we didn't), all our bags came through, nothing was broken or stolen!!! All our prayers were answered, what a great God we have! We went through customs no problem, they didn't even open our bags and when we stepped outside the airport we were greeted by our host family and host pastor and his wife along with fellow missionaries! There was much rejoicing and I cried but it was great and something I will never forget!

I haven't been good about taking pictures but here a few and a little about what's taken place since our arrival.
Last night we met again with our host family and host Pastor and his wife, who are very excited have us and teach us, just to talk with them and get to know them better (as much as we can with as little as we speak). They met us at the airport but here they are below. Pastor and his wife to the left and our host family on the right. 

Us and our host family (I don't know how to spell their names yet but they will be teaching us Spanish and showing us around the city and helping us find a home and getting settled there)
Here is Jamen with some of our bags. This is outside the door to our guest house home for the next few weeks or so until we find a place to live. 

Praise the Lord with us that we got here, our bags got here, we are healthy, the kids are adjusting and we are loving it! We are encouraged by our co-workers and thankful they are here.

Pray with us that we would find a place to live soon (its better if we make the adjustment of being on our own sooner then later), for culture shock if and when it does set it (right now we still feel like we are living in south GA, its very similar), pray we would balance ministry and family and continue to be faithful parents to Jamen and Jade!

We love and miss you all and THANK YOU for your PRAYERS and SUPPORT!


Shannon said...

So awesome to hear that you made it! I look forward to reading how everything goes as you settle in and get tothe work you've been preparing so long for. God bless you guys! Praying for you.
Shannon Wedge

Lauren said...

Wow! How amazing and exciting Jen and Jon. I am glad you made it safely. Will be thinking of you an awaiting an update on your living quarters. Hugs. Lauren and boys.