Saturday, December 31, 2011

Many Happy Returns

It was Tuesday night and I was finally getting my thoughts in order and figured out that, yes, we would have a birthday party for Jade! The only thing holding me back was what kind of party? Do I give a party that is more American or more traditional like we did growing up or do I go out on a limb and give a party like what I have seen here in Paraguay? We had been to four birthday party's for all different ages and I had a pretty good idea of what I needed to do. However at the risk of totally messing this birthday party up by just going off of what I had seen, we called a friend who came over and walked me through step by step what I should do. Everything from how to invite people, where to get cake and food, what time a party should start and things to do at a party. She came early to help me get set up, showing me how to make the balloons and hang the ribbon on them. Then helped me set the table correctly, I couldn't have done it with her help! So, here is Jades 2nd Birthday party Paraguayan style!
The fished product, drink table (cool-aid and soda), cake, candy's,  sopa paraguaya, homemade empanadas (Jon made them) and little ham and cheese sandwiches. 
A very excited birthday girl! 
The party started when everyone got there, first we ate all the food and the kids played for little bit more. 
Then it was time for the pinata, I had filled it with candy, toy rings and little animals. After much talking about which language we would count to three in, we landed on Guarani, then Jon broke the balloon. Here pinatas are not hit with sticks while children are blindfolded (besides how is that a good kids game, blindfold the kid,  give them a big stick, spin them around and let them go...) 
The kids ate some candy and played a little more. Then it was time to sing Happy Birthday! We all gathered around and sang in English first then in Spanish.  
Jade wasn't too keen on blowing out the candles, so the other kids helped. 
Then it was cake time!!! Everyone said it was the best cake they had ever had! Cakes are usually made by a family member or a friend. You can buy them in stores but unless you made them for a living you don't make birthday cakes (people often make orange cake but thats not for a birthday). I was kinda sad when I learned this, I always make my kids cakes and I love to do it. However I am so glad I didn't have to make it cause in the heat it would have melted everywhere!! I asked what they do to not make it melt but its a secret. Anyway, I was at a loss as to where to get the cake but my friend told me her Aunt makes cakes and that it would be their gift to us if they could bring the cake and the little sandwiches. I said yes!
Here is Jades Princess cake with all the candy all around. You sing Happy Birthday, then pass out the candy to the kids and then you cut the cake. After eating cake the kids just played until it was time for them to go. As they were leaving I gave the mom the goodie bags with bubbles and lots of candy!! I think the kids had fun, I know Jamen and Jade did. I really enjoyed myself, it wasn't stressful and I learned so much! I couldn't have done it without the help from our sweet loving friends! Thank you Cheli and Graciela!

2 comments:

Brian and Becky Vail said...

Cute! I am glad that you got to have such a fun party for her! Know that we wish we could have been there!! Lizzi sang to her! :)

Lauren said...

It is so nice to see how things like birthday parties are held in Paraguay. Happy birthday, Jade!

Jen, you have such a sweet family. Please always know that I am here if you guys ned anything!